Sunday 16 April 2017

An unfair ask and the black

I would have written in this post about my awesome trip to Maui and the business of life non-health related for the past few months, because that's what it's been.  But instead I am doing a very brief post to update you on yet another health development that I did not see coming. 

I'd had some headaches that got worse in the last few days and after a call into our Health Link system, came into Emergency yesterday to get it checked and within a couple of hours found out that I have several tumors in my brain.  I quickly was admitted to the Neurology Unit at Foothills and have had lots of tests since and will likely likely undergo 1-2 surgeries this week, the first likely happening tomorrow.  I don't know much more and I'm just trying to process this myself as are my close family & friends and all of you will be doing that too now I'm sure. 

At this point, I'm trying to get things organized because unlike the other four times I've gone through cancer, my mind has been one of my strongest assets and survival strategies, but I don't know what capacity I'll have to do that this time.  Tasha has helped me do this posting and between her and mom they will try to provide quick updates here as the days unfold. 

I know that this is a brief update and all I can unfairly ask is for you to continue doing what you've been doing for almost two decades, which is sending whatever you can send and have been sending - prayers, energy, support.  I need to ask you not to try and visit at this point - I need to rest to put myself in the best position possible for the coming days.  You can instead support virtually through the blog and messages if you like. It seems to have worked until now and I need it more than ever this time. 

As I think I mentioned, I have been working on a body of work of paintings to try and share my experience with the rollercoaster and writings to go with them and I've made some progress, not knowing what lies ahead.  I thought I would share something I wrote, ironically a couple of weeks ago, that I thought was important and articulates how I'm feeling now.  Maybe some of you will relate in your own experiences and even in reading this, how you might be feeling now.  I've pasted it below, it like all my other writings is in draft, but it seems like today we can't perfect the drafts before we share.

Much love and thanks,

Tricia

The Black

While I would agree with people who say that I am a positive person, and that my ability to stay positive has helped me overcome many challenges, I feel the need to articulate the depth of moments where it is impossible to be positive, or where I have felt simply too tired to live. Through the past 21 years I have felt that way - too tired to fight, too tired to live - many times. I share this because I believe it is a life reality that every person experiences, but we are encouraged to reject it, recover from it, change it, and most definitely not share it with others.  Be strong. Think positively. Be grateful. And while that is so very true, actually respecting the worst minutes, hours, days of life - where we feel weakened, when we feel attacked, unable to go on, swallowed by the quicksand, gasping for air, blinded by the horror of whatever is devouring us - is the only way to improve at getting through those times. I used to believe or possibly hope that life was overall fair, that times of darkness would be equalled by times of light, that justice would be served - not necessarily immediately,  but by the end that it in fact would balance out.  I don’t believe this to be true any more.  Life is not logical or fair.  There are tornadoes, and sharks and tsunamis regardless of what you do or don’t do.  And it is almost certain that we and those we love will be hurt multiple times, sometimes so badly that we almost don’t make it.  It’s never safe to assume that we’ve had our fair share of those attacks, and expect them to eventually dissipate. I don’t think that’s how it works. It doesn’t make sense but that’s the point.  I think shining the spotlight on the darkest moments, understanding in detail how we managed to get to the edge of the water we almost drowned in, how we didn’t bleed to death, how our heart managed to heal after being torn to pieces, makes us more capable of surviving the next hit.  No matter how many times we are hit.  And focusing on how black the black is makes the white extraordinarily more vibrant.

22 comments:

I Am Coach Sheena said...

YOU are the bravest and strongest woman I have ever met! Thank you for sharing.

Guy Terriff said...

Tricia: Sorry to hear the news you are such a fighter you had been an inspiration to me. Sending you positive energy and my prayers.. Guy

Mary Ellen said...

We are saying lots of prayers Tricia.
You are on our minds and in our hearts.
Love.
Mary Ellen & Bob
xoxo

Louise and David said...

Oh Tricia, even as I am struggling to accept and process this latest news from you, I am driven to write a brief, supportive response. You are not being unfair in asking for renewed signs of the support you have had from us for so many years. David and I will carry you in our hearts every waking moment, light your candle of hope and forward healing energy to you across the miles.

Thank you for letting us know about what has been happening for you lately, for filling us in on the results of the x-rays you have had, and for alerting us about the surgeries you will undergo almost immediately. We will definitely watch for possible updates from your mom and Tasha.

Please feel our presence, too, whenever those closest to you are at your side, encouraging you on. Your unseen army is there, right behind those special people, and we feel blessed to be among the ranks.

Even in the darkest of times, you reach out to others and think of us. Your reflections on "the black" are amazingly universal and touching. May your own courage and the love of your family and closest friends help you to face each unknown moment in the days that lie ahead.

Love you lots, always,
Louise and David

C.Antonini said...

We are sending our thoughts and prayers to and your and your family, Tricia.

Marcia said...

Dear Tricia, I will keep you in my prayers every day. Thank you for keeping us up to date. Much love to you and to the whole family.
Marcia xoxo

Christine said...

Dear Tricia, You are in our hearts and in our prayers. Sending you lots of love and healing energy.
Love Christine & Ron

Curtis Cutshaw said...

Our hearts are reaching out to you,Tricia, and sending you all of our love and prayers.

Love
Barb and Curtis

Lorelee Marin said...

In prayer for you and sending you love! Praying for wisdom for the doctors and your care team.

Len said...

You are a true hero. Our prayers are with you.

Len & Kelly

Lisa said...

Tricia, we have only connected by Facebook over the years since high school and band camp many moons ago, but I've been inspired by your strength, courage and tenacity. I'm praying for your strength in the weeks to come and look forward to reading about your recovery from this part of the roller coaster ride. Be strong and safe.
Lisa

Claudia Haschner said...

Dear Tricia,
So sorry about hearing the latest news.
Sending you lots of love and wishing you an army of guardian angels that gives you strength and protects you.
Hoping and praying for/with you and keeping you in our hearts!
xxx, your friends from Germany

Louise and David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Louise and David said...

(Dear Tricia, I deleted the above comment because I had not correctly transferred Margaret's message to you. Here it is as she wrote it an email to me):


Margaret S in St. Andrews Scotland sends love and prayers to you, your Mom and Dad, and ALL your family, friends and supporters.

Vivian and Dave said...

Dear Tricia,
I have been praying for you daily for years and now hourly since hearing of your upcoming surgery. You and your family are constantly in our thoughts. You are a gift to this world and have served as a true inspiration to countless others. You remain in our prayers. Many hugs. Love Viv. Dave Cassandra and Kimberley

Bonnie said...

Dear Tricia,

Rob and I are sending you love and prayers! We love you!

Unknown said...

Tricia we are thinking of you constantly and sending you big love and hugs.

Patti Morris said...

Oh my goodness Tricia. This is unimaginably tough. I am sorry that you are facing this again. Thank you for your honest and important words. Life is indeed not logical or fair. Thank you for bringing light to thoughts experienced and shared by so many.
Tricia I am sending my heartfelt and focused best wishes your way. You'll be tucked in close to my heart. Wishing you strength and health. With love and hugs. Patti

Marcia said...

You've been on my mind all day, thank you for the update! Love, love and more prayers.
Marcia xoxo

Jim & Donna Simpson said...

When things are really hard, I remind myself that sometimes there are no words and no why. But it doesn't lessen the pain and anger of seeing a friend deal with hard things. We continue to hold you and your family in our thoughts and prayers through the darkness and pray for the light.

Jerry Schindel said...

Hi Tricia,

I wanted to send you well wishes and prayers. You are correct, life hasn't been fair and you have been through some very tough times. You have managed to overcome and beat cancer three times to be an influence and inspiration to a lot of other's that have gone through dark times, cancer and other life changing circumstances. I'll say a prayer for you tonight and I pray that you receive some good news from the doctors.

Jerry Schindel.

Ian said...

My thoughts are with you, Tricia. hugs from Stoon. You have to call Gord D and listen to Courage because that defines you.